Thursday, January 15, 2015

Recipe time! Breakfast

Ok I realize that so many people wonder what to eat to lose weight. I thought to myself why not do a month dedicated to recipes to help people figure out what to eat to help shread those lbs.

Ok so last night I made these awesome breakfast muffins. The one thing I will admit is I still allow crappy sugary cereal in my house. But I don't know why I still do. It's really strictly for convenience. Why not premake some healthy muffins for the morning...

I have tried some recipes from Pinterest but I haven't found one that I love. So I found one I would try. I did modify to add more healthy components! By the way...I am super surprised that I can even bake because I HATE FOLLOWING A RECIPE! So it's no real surprise that I modified the original recipe. I kind of crack up anytime anyone asks for a recipe from me, because chances are....there isn't one! :) I think it's because I hate to be told what to do

Oatmeal-blueberry-applesauce-muffins-recipe-for-toddlers
Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins
Yields: 12 muffins
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/4 cups oats
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375˚ F.
  2. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper/ silicone liners, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
  3. In a large bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a medium bowl combine applesauce, yogurt, brown sugar, canola oil and egg.
  4. Make a well in dry ingredients and add the applesauce mixture. Stir until just moist. Fold in blueberries. Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups, filling to about 2/3 full.
  5. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin from the middle of the tray comes out clean.
  6. If you’re freezing them, allow the muffins to cool, then pop them into a ziplock bag before putting them into the freezer. Pop them into the microwave to defrost when you’re ready to eat!
First of all, I doubled the recipe and it made 24 muffins. I wish I would have tripled it or quadrupled it because they are that good. But at least they are super easy to make! 

So it calls for a lot of flour, I cut 1/4 cup of the flour and added 1/4 cup of wheat germ.

It also called for 1 1/4  cup of oats. I cut this by a 1/2 cup and added 1/4 cup flax seed. I also added in a 1/4 cup of quinoa!

I did add a little bit more liquid ingredients because of the added depth of the dry ingredients. I added 1/2 cup more applesauce 1/4 more yogurt and another egg.

I also omitted the oil.

I included a couple handfuls of craisins as well.

You could add walnuts or almonds, but I didn't have any!

These things are amazing! I have no regret giving these to my kids in the morning to start their day off right!


No comments:

Post a Comment